The French don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, so for the past nine years, I’ve had to celebrate on the weekend, not Thanksgiving day.
Today we’re having Thanksgiving lunch with some of my dearest friends and I’m so Thankful. Thankful for my wonderful kids, funny husband and close friends. Thankful that we are living in a spacious, sunlit apartment. Thankful that my job has been renewed for a year and for the new professional opportunities I have. Thankful that we can afford to replace our car which is on the way out. Thankful for my three remaining cats, who entertain us every day. Thankful for Almost Frugal, and you, my readers.
Meanwhile, here are some of my favorite reads for the week:
- Thankful – A Journey to a Simple Happy Life
- i pick up pennies: Does frugal mean sneaky?
- Amanda’s Money Coma, Part I of II
- BBB Certified – Gifts That Get Noticed!
- How to Start a Meal Exchange @ The Simple Dollar
- How to maximize coupon savings | Unclutterer
- Christmas Advent Calendar: Optimal Day to Order Christmas Cards | Optimalprint
- Patient Money – How to Find Mental Health Care When Money Is Tight – NYTimes.com
- Using Twitter To Get Better Customer Service. | My Two Dollars
Frugal tips of the day from Twitter:
- Take good care of your appliances and they will serve you for a long time.
- Use envelopes (real or virtual) to help you track and control your spending.
- Check your bank balance online. It might serve as a reality check and stop you from spending.
- Don’t pay for your books, movies, tv or music– legally, of course.
- Take your frugality where you can. Lots of books have frugal messages in them.
- A good gift is a frugal gift! And a frugal gift is a good gift!
- Before buying new clothes ask yourself if you love it AND need it!
- Prepare for the frugal holidays by thinning your guest list.